Saturday, December 10, 2016

Tokyo 2020 Logo

Olympic logos are often controversial. Lots of people didn’t like the London 2012 logo, for example. I thought the Rio 2016 one was great, though.


The controversy over the Tokyo 2020 logo was originally about plagiarism. The first logo that was chosen for the Olympics was subsequently withdrawn after it was found to be rather similar to that of the Théâtre de Liège. 

This is the new logo:


I find it a little unsettling. 

I think I have now worked out why. It feels as if it ought to have reflection symmetry. I think I start looking at the top of the logo, where my brain tells me it is symmetrical (roughly). 


As you go down the image this symmetry breaks down, and that is what makes it slightly uncomfortable to look at. 

There is, however, some symmetry in the logo. Can pupils spot it? 

It has rotational symmetry order 3. The red dots show three related points. 



Even though I now know about the symmetry I still find the Olympic logo ‘swims’ in front of my eyes. 

The Paralympic logo though; that works far better for me: 

Aah - nice to have reflection symmetry!

Sources: 

No comments: